The following are highlights from Monday’s Sparks City Council Meeting:
Announcements, Presentations, Recognitions
• Sparks City Council proclaimed the month of July as Parks and Recreation Month, and recognized the contributions of employees and volunteers who keep public parks clean and safe for all citizens to enjoy.
• The Council heard a presentation for the Purple Heart Truck Run, demonstrating the vehicle for disabled veterans, to be displayed at Truckee Meadows Community College on July 17.
• Christina Conti presented a recap of accomplishments and challenges of the 2014 Inter-Local Agreement for Emergency Medical Services oversight.
• Council approved a resolution formalizing the Sparks Senior Citizen Advisory Committee. The committee will provide input to the Council on the need for services and programming for the aging population of Sparks.
• The purchase of cardlock fuel and fueling services to provide fuel access, and to monitor fuel card usage and fuel inventories by city fleet vehicles was approved.
• The council approved the 2018/2019 membership dues payment of $21,135.61 to Nevada League of Cities and Municipalities. Membership to the NLCM supports the city in fulfilling its adopted state legislative platform.
• Sparks City Council awarded Mt. Rose Heating and Air the $610,000 contract for the Alf Sorensen Dehumidifier Project, which will protect the structural integrity of the pool area by ensuring moisture conditions are minimized.
• Council held public meetings and approved resolutions to allow the financial services department to establish interfund, non-interest-bearing loans to the Sparks general fund from the motor vehicle maintenance fund; and from the general fund to the community development block grant fund and to the grants and donations fund, as needed for cash flow purposes
Planning and Zoning
• Sparks City Council adopted a bill to amend Title 20 of the Sparks Municipal Code to permit urban wineries in Victorian Square.
• First readings were heard, and public hearings were scheduled for 6 p.m. Monday, July 23 in Council chambers, for the proposed development agreement and rezoning request for The Vistas, and for the proposed annexation of the parcel at 2101 Sullivan Lane.