A 16-year-old Sparks boy has been sentenced to 30 years for fatally stabbing his neighbor in September 2014.
Carlos Antonio Montoya, who pleaded guilty to second-degree murder, was sentenced last week by District Judge Jerome Polaha for the stabbing death of Sparks resident Brian Marshall, 33. He will have to serve a minimum of 12 years in prison before being eligible for parole.
Montoya was 15 years old at the time of the stabbing and a documented gang member, prosecutors said
The case began on Sept. 1, 2014, when Sparks police responded to a call of a stabbing on 11th Street in downtown Sparks. Once on scene, officers located Marshall, who was with his wife and two small children, authorities said. Marshall had a stab wound to his chest and died shortly after being transported to the hospital.
Detectives determined that Montoya and another juvenile had approached Marshall, who was the defendant’s neighbor and a former family friend, while the victim was standing in front of his home.
A verbal confrontation took place between Montoya and Marshall, and Montoya pulled a knife, reportedly to intimidate Marshall, authorities said.
Montoya later claimed Marshall mocked him, telling Montoya that he was acting like the juvenile’s father, who several years prior had stabbed a man in a physical altercation, prosecutors said.
Authorities said Marshall’s reference to Montoya’s father enraged Montoya, who stabbed Marshall once in the chest.
Montoya was charged as an adult in the case, which took place prior to a change in Nevada law that removed the automatic charging of juveniles as adults accused of murder or attempted murder. Current law requires prosecutors to pursue certification as adults of juveniles 13 to under 16 years old in cases of murder or attempted murder.