This week, the cities of Sparks and Reno will host over 5000 cars during the annual Hot August Nights Event August 8-13. The many events and cruises will be scattered between the two cities at major casinos such as the Nugget, Baldini’s, Grand Sierra Resort and Atlantis, as well as the downtown streets of Reno and Sparks. Participants and spectators alike will need to be aware of specific road closures, detours and construction projects. Please see attached map for specific detour routes.
Road closures in downtown Sparks from Aug. 8 to Aug. 13 at 2 p.m.:
• Victorian Avenue at Pyramid Highway
• Victorian Avenue at 15th Street (gated with security–entrance only for registered participants)
• 11th Street and Victorian Plaza Circle east at C Street
• 11th Street and Victorian Plaza Circle east at Nugget Avenue (gated with security-entrance only for registered participants)
• 14th Street and Victorian Plaza Circle West at C Street
• 13th Street at Avenue of the Oaks (gated with security)
• 10th Street at C Street
• C Street at Avenue of the Oaks
• South Rock Boulevard at Glendale Avenue (detour in place as part the Glendale Reconstruction Project)
Road closures in downtown Reno From Aug. 8 at Noon to Aug. 14 at 8 a.m.:
• Virginia Street will be closed between First Street and Sixth Street
• Third Street will be closed between N. Sierra Street and Virginia Street Commercial Row will be closed between N. Sierra Street and N. Center Street
• Plaza Street will be closed between Virginia Street and N. Center Street
• Second Street will be closed between N. Sierra Street and N. Center Street
Nightly cruise closures in downtown Sparks from Aug. 8 to Aug. 12 from 6:30 to 10:30 p.m.:
• Eastbound and westbound Pyramid Way exit ramps on I-80
• Pyramid Highway from C Street to Victorian (detours to C street westbound)
• Eastbound Rock Boulevard and Nugget Avenue exit off ramps on I-80
• Victorian from Pyramid Highway to 16th Street (Rock and Victorian is the entrance for registered cars into the cruise)
Event parking in Sparks will be available in the C Street Garage (behind Cantina Los Tres Hombres), the parking garage next to the Sparks Theater, (enter on Victorian Plaza Circle or 12th Street) and the parking lot south of the Sparks Theater (enter from the 13th Street gate).
And this year, the Cities of Sparks and Reno and Regional Transportation Commission (RTC) are introducing the Don’t Drive Arrive Campaign, encouraging participants and spectators to leave their cars at home and find alternative transportation methods to and from Hot August Nights events. “We encourage all who can to walk, bike, use public transit, rideshare and carpool,” said City of Sparks campaign organizer Francine Burge. Those interested can find more information at www.DontDriveArrive.com.